On Michael Schumacher’s 50th birthday, his fans got a gift: the record-breaking Formula 1 champion’s official app.
01 The goal
Michael Schumacher is the most successful driver in the history of Formula 1. His unparalleled career is brought to life in the permanent exhibition “Michael Schumacher Private Collection” at MOTORWORLD Cologne. On display are memorabilia such as original sports cars, trophies and helmets. C3 digitalises the career depicted in the exhibition with an app.
02 The strategy
Almost 30 years of Formula 1 history, condensed into an app. A smartphone brings users close to the racetracks and paddocks – and to Michael Schumacher. An interactive experience.
“Michael Schumacher represents quality, precision, passion, fighting spirit. It was important for an official app to live up to these high standards.”Sabine Kehm, Michael Schumacher’s Manager
03 The implementation
The digital tour of the Michael Schumacher Private Collection becomes as exciting as a round on the Hockenheimring. Michael Schumacher’s career is divided into five categories:
- “The Champion” shows a timeline from Michael Schumacher’s early days on the kart track, through the Ferrari era, to his comeback in the Silver Arrow.
- “Racing Experience” presents 3D models of the vehicles and transports the user directly to the track where everything began, with a virtual tour of the karting circuit in Kerpen.
- Images, videos and interviews of almost all his companions can be found under “Multi Media”.
- The “Keep Fighting Foundation” is inspired by Michael Schumacher’s fighting spirit. The app integration clarifies the charity’s goals.
- A virtual tour leads users through the “Michael Schumacher Private Collection” exhibition at MOTORWORLD Cologne and completes the 360° experience surrounding the Formula 1 champion.
All content is available in multiple languages. The Italian translation was even done proactively by devoted Schumacher tifosi.
04 The result
Straight to Pole Position: On release day, the app went straight to number one in the “Sports” category of Apple’s App Store.
downloads in the first 24 hours.
in the “Sports” category of Apple’s App Store.
05 Why it matters
Winning is a state of mind. The official Michael Schumacher app takes users on a journey through time and lets them experience of the triumphs of this extraordinary athlete. An appropriate way to celebrate the legacy of one of the greatest sporting heroes in the world.
Discover more projects here or go back to all cases.